2009 Honda DN-01 [Features / Specifications]
Honda’s stunning new DN-01 is in a class of its own—the world’s first crossover bike. Styled like a sportbike, but offering Honda’s radical new HFT Transmission, it’s an automatic unlike anything you’ve ever seen. You can shift it into six preset ratios, or you can let it function as a stepless, no-shifting Constantly Variable Transmission, or CVT. The DN-01 is a perfect choice if you’re looking to get into motorcycling or if you’re just a long-time rider who wants to be on the most cutting-edge bike out there.
It’s like no motorcycle you’ve ever seen. And it’s definitely like no motorcycle you’ve ever ridden. The revolutionary Honda DN-01 is designed to create a nearly seamless connection between you and your riding environment, with a relaxed, low seating position and a clear view to the road ahead. Its Human Friendly Transmission (HFT) allows you to ride in fully automatic mode, or you can shift it like a manual transmission via handy handlebar-mounted push buttons. You can even rev the powerful V-twin engine at stoplights, something most automatic transmissions won’t allow.
Honda’s reputation for forging new categories in motorcycling takes its latest form in the radical DN-01. This futuristic machine combines true sporting performance with a fully-automatic transmission, a low seat height and exceptional style.
Features & Benefits
Colors include Candy Dark Red and Black.
* Powerful 4-valve, 680cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine.
* HFT transmission is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that automatically and seamlessly changes drive ratios to produce strong, smooth acceleration. Unlike conventional belt-drive designs, HFT is compact, quiet, no scheduled maintenance, and features two automatic modes and a six-speed manual mode with push-button shifting.
* Low 27.2-inch seat height assures flat-footed confidence when stopped.
* Large-diameter 41mm front fork and single-shock Pro Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) provide a sporting ride on low-profile Z-rated radial tires.
* Combined ABS (LBS-ABS, see Technology Section) triple-disc brake system for sure-footed braking in varying conditions.
* Combined Braking System (CBS) provides excellent braking power for added confidence in a wide range of operating conditions. CBS applies front braking force whenever the rear brake is operated.
– On the DN-01, equipped with dual front disc brakes with three-piston calipers and a twin-piston rear caliper, rider application of the front-brake lever activates all six brake pistons in the front calipers. Application of the rear-brake pedal activates the dual pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston of the front-left caliper.
* Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS w/CBS) utilizes modulators- one each on the front and rear wheels- driven directly by specially developed electric motors. In operation, an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) monitors wheel and vehicle speed. If one of both of the wheels approach a locking condition, the modulators, via a signal from the ECU, lower hydraulic pressure by acting directly on the brake piston(s). As wheel speed re-approaches motorcycle speed, the hydraulic pressure is increased. This entire process is repeated numerous times in just one second, resulting in optimal braking pressure and enhanced rider control.
* Beautiful aerodynamic design provides protection from the elements.
* Compact 680cc, liquid-cooled SOHC 52-degree V-Twin provides substantial torque and power for everyday commuting and spirited backroad riding.
* Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI, see Technology Section) with twin 40mm throttle bodies and high-performance 12-hole injectors provide excellent throttle response and fuel economy while contributing to low emissions.
* Auto enrichment system is integrated into PGM-FI to optimize the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminates the need for a choke.
* ECU-controlled, closed-loop emission control system with oxygen sensor manage the air/fuel mixture and reduce exhaust emissions.
* Front-mounted radiator receives ducted air from fairing shroud to maximize cooling.
* 2-into-1 stainless steel exhaust system with chrome-plated triangular shaped tailpipe is designed to centralize mass for improved handling.
*HFT offers two fully automatic, infinitely variable transmission modes – ‘D’ (Drive) mode for ordinary riding, and ‘S’ (Sport) mode for sharper acceleration. In addition, a push-button-selectable, six-speed manual mode allows the rider to upshift/downshift with the simple operation of left thumb-activated buttons.
* The ECU-controlled HFT automatically ‘downshifts’ when climbing steep grades to maintain optimum power.
* HFT provides ‘lock-up’ in cruising mode for maximum fuel economy.
* HFT features button-activated mechanical neutral, permitting engine revving when stopped. Mechanical neutral is automatically engaged whenever the engine is turned off, allowing easy maneuverability.
* Sturdy double-cradle steel tube frame provides exceptional strength and bolt-on seat rail simplifies servicing.
* Stout 41mm front fork with 4.2 inches of supple travel and progressive damping.
* Relaxed 28.5-degree rake and 4.5 inches of trail contribute to comfortable, stretched-out riding position and provide excellent straight-line handling.
* Single shock, Pro Arm Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
* Combined ABS (LBS-ABS, see Technology Section) with two lightweight 296mm floating front rotors and a single 276mm rear rotor.
* Handsome, lightweight 17-inch 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels with Z-rated 130/70 ZR17 (front) and 190/50 ZR17 (rear) radial tires offer sport-touring traction and comfort in wet and dry riding conditions.
* The DN-01’s sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional and beautiful.
* Low, polycarbonate windshield allows some air into the cockpit at lower speeds.
* Low 27.2-inch seat height with wide passenger seat provides all-day riding comfort and allows rider to put both feet down at stops or when parking motorcycle.
* Well-placed mirrors provide an excellent rear view.
* Spacious rider footboards enhance riding comfort without compromising cornering performance.
* Handy one-touch, cable-actuated parking brake.
* White LED-backlit, LCD instrument panel provides multi-segment tachometer and large digital speedometer displays with dual-trip calculator, clock, six-segment fuel gauge, plus large turn signal and ‘neutral’ indicators.
* Mass-centralized 4.0-gallon dual-compartment fuel tank with .8-gallon reserve.
* Dual-element headlights provide right-side low beam operation- just like Honda CBRs- while both beams illuminate in high-beam mode. A brilliant multi-segment LED taillight is integrated into the rear cowl.
* Widely spaced turn indicators are mounted on rearview mirrors for style and function.
* Detachable seat provides storage for a U-lock. (Lock not included.)
Honda Genuine Accessories
* A custom-styled backrest for extra passenger comfort.
* Rugged, full-coverage body cover.
2009 Honda DN-01 – USA Specifications
*Engine Type 680cc liquid-cooled 52° V-Twin
*Bore and Stroke 81mm x 66mm
*Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
*Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
*Compression Ratio 10.0:1
*Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder
*Transmission HFT continuously variable, hydromechanical two-mode automatic with six-speed manual mode.
*Final Drive Shaft
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
*Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel
*Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
*Front Brake Combined ABS with dual full-floating 296mm discs and three-piston calipers
*Rear Brake Combined ABS with single 276mm disc and three-piston caliper
*Front Tire 130/70 ZR17 radial
*Rear Tire 190/50 ZR17 radial
Rake (Caster Angle): 28.5°
Trail 114mm (4.5 inches)
Wheelbase 63.2 inches
Seat Height 27.2 inches
Curb Weight 595 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gallons, including .08-gallon reserve
Emissions Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards
Available Colors Candy Dark Red, Black
Model ID NSA700A
Note HFT Automatic Transmission