Maruti Suzuki launches Ritz in India. Priced at Rs 3.90-4.99 lakh
India’s number one carmaker Maruti Suzuki India Limited unveiled the much-awaited Ritz here today. The car is available in both, petrol and diesel engine options.
With the Ritz – a Superior stance hatchback positioned at the premium-end of the compact car market – Maruti Suzuki consolidates its leadership in the highly competitive compact car segment. The Ritz comes with the BS-IV and OBD-I compliance much ahead of the regulation being enforced in the country.
The Ritz has been specifically designed for India. Maruti Suzuki engineers worked with the Suzuki design team in Japan to co-design the car and carry out India-specific changes.
Unveiling the Ritz, Shinzo Nakanishi, Managing Director and CEO, Maruti Suzuki India Limited said, “The Ritz combines modern European design, the sportiness of the Swift, the latest in engine technology and Suzuki’s globally acclaimed expertise in compact cars. The Ritz further reiterates parent Suzuki Motor Corporation’s commitment to bring global car models with contemporary design, style and next generation fuel efficient, environment friendly engine technology for its customers in India. The Ritz is one more step by Indian engineers towards capability development in automobile research and design.”
The heart of the Ritz are the brand new 1.2 Litre K12M Petrol engine and the 1.3 DDiS Diesel power-plant, each offering optimum performance and fuel efficiency. Alongside this, the transmission system has been optimized for the Ritz to match Indian driving habits. With this the Ritz offers the best-in-class combination of fuel efficiency and drivability.
A car for everyone
With its overall length of 3.7 metres height of 1.6 metres and a width of 1.7 metres, the Ritz offers a comfortable roomy cabin with ample legroom for 5 adults. Despite its large frame, the Ritz has a tight turning radius of 4.7 meters.
The suspension of the vehicle with a high ground clearance of 170 mm has been tuned for Indian road conditions, and provides excellent handling and ride comfort. The rear wheel housing has been modified to accommodate the bigger and wider tyres used only in Ritz.
The customer will find a fine balance between Emotion and Functionality in the Ritz. Being a car meant for the family, the rear seat has been designed for comfortable seating of three passengers. The seat profile has been modified for better comfort and to add to overall interior synergy.
As a first in the industry, two sets of dual-tone instrument panels that blend with the body colours are offered in the ZXi version.
Maruti Suzuki Ritz: Superior Technology all the way
In Ritz, Maruti Suzuki brings innovative technologies for benefit of customers and the society.
* Ritz is the first passenger car in India to be tested and verified for EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) compliance. EMC standards are prevalent in European countries and Maruti Suzuki as the market leader has adopted them proactively.
* The Ritz is ELV compliant (no use of ecologically harmful substances such as chromium, cadmium, mercury, etc). ELV (End of Life Vehicle) norms are prevalent in Europe for ensuring recyclability of material but are yet to be enforced in India.
* In line with the Government of India’s intention to introduce ethanol blended fuel, Maruti Suzuki has made design modifications to make Ritz E10 compliant.
* The Ritz comes with Drive-by-wire technology in both petrol and diesel variants. This alongwith the 32-bit Engine Management system provides faster signal processing and quick response..
The Heart of the Ritz
The Ritz will be available with two different power-train options:
* a 1.2-litre, four-cylinder, 16-valve unit with maximum power of 85PS petrol engine (Superb fuel efficiency of 17.7 kmpl: Certified as per CMVR rule 115)
* the successful 1.3-litre, Common Rail 16-valve diesel (DDiS) unit that delivers a maximum power of 75PS. (Excellent fuel efficiency of 21.1 kmpl: Certified as per CMVR rule 115)
The all-new K12M engine on the Ritz Petrol has been specifically designed for Indian applications. The BS-IV and OBD-1 compliant engine promises to be best in class fuel efficient, high performance, low emission, light weight, with lower NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness).
To make the all-aluminium engine lighter and more fuel efficient, high grade plastic parts have been extensively used. The skirt area of the piston has been shortened to reduce weight, which helps in lowering friction and enhance fuel efficiency.
Maruti Suzuki engineers worked as part of Suzuki’s engine teams for design, calibration and testing of the engine in Japan and in India. This is a step further in enhancing the engine development capability.
Some other salient features of the all-new K12M are:
* Innovative rocker-less DOHC cam shaft, plastic intake manifold and offset crank shaft with low tension rings to reduce losses and improve fuel efficiency
* Smart Distributor Less Ignition (SDLI) system with dedicated plug top coils, High pressure fuel system & advanced injectors for superior atomization to provide uniform and optimized combustion for better performance.
* Optimized cylinder block, light piston and nut-less con rod for light weight configuration
* Improved engine stiffness and use of advanced technology like silent timing chain to improve NVH characteristics
* First engine oil change after 10,000 kms as against conventional 1,000 kms
* Spark plugs first change at 40,000 kms as against conventional 20,000 kms
The Ritz Diesel is powered by the super successful 1.3L DDIS powerhouse, which propels the Swift and Swift Dzire. The engine configuration has been modified to meet the forthcoming BS-IV and OBD-1 norms and the improved calibration and tuning provides excellent combination of driveability and mileage
The exterior design of the Ritz embodies energy, youthfulness, and delight. Sharp lines, bold contours and flowing roofline give an appealing look and youthful sporty stance.
The strong V-identity of Suzuki design language in the front is well supported by expressive headlamps. The pronounced fender flairs add solidness and sporty character.
The side view is characterized by dynamic shoulder and sculpted character supporting it above the sill.
The stylish boomerang-shaped, rear combination lamps are placed at the rear corners so as to maximize the visual width. The stylish rear bumper incorporates reflex reflectors and RR fog lamp, adding to its character and overall styling of the vehicle to suit Indian requirements.
Youthful and useful Interiors
The design theme for interior is youthful and useful. The interior is focused on enjoyment and “ease of use” concept.
The wrap-around character of the instrument panel brings in a feeling of freshness. The console mounted gear shift lever – another first in Maruti Suzuki cars – is an ergonomic delight for the driver and sets the interiors apart, visually.
Streamlined center console accentuated by the easy flowing silver garnish adds uniqueness. The repeating oval motif forms rhythm in the interiors.
The cabin features a contemporary look defined by gentle curves and blue-toned colour scheme. A high panoramic roof gives passengers a sense of openness.
The Ritz comes with ‘steering integrated audio control’ that is a hallmark for contemporary cars.
Stance & Space
The Ritz while being based on the Swift platform has a superior stance. The seating in Ritz has been moved upward by 54mm in the front and 47mm in the rear, providing a comfortable seating and panoramic driving position.
With an overall vehicle height of 1620 mm enabling higher head room (+24mm in front and +31mm in rear), it allows for ample occupant space in the Ritz. This ergonomic layout provides the best in class leg room and head room along with ease of entry and exit to passengers.
Safety & Security
Ritz comes with a rigid and light weight body structure with crumple zones. The safety equipments of the Ritz includes an energy-absorbing structure, Airbags, ABS with EBD, a collapsible steering column, front seat-belt pre-tensioners and force limiters (Specifications vary according to variants).
All variants of Ritz are equipped with Maruti’s iCATS Immobiliser system to provide much required security to the customers.
The car will be available in five variants, three variants with petrol engine – LXi, VXi and ZXi and two variants with Diesel engine – LDi and VDi. While Airbags and ABS are standard on ZXi, the Vxi and VDi variants have ABS as an optional feature.
The Ritz comes in an array of eight vibrant colours including 5 new ones:
Glistening Grey, Racing Green, Bakers Chocolate , Firebrick Red, Blue Blaze , Silky Silver , Midnight Black, Superior White
Price: Introductory Prices of Maruti Suzuki RITZ in DELHI are:
Petrol Variants Diesel Variants
Model City Ex-Showroom (Rs) Model City Ex-Showroom (Rs)
Ritz Lxi Delhi 3.90 lakh Ritz Ldi Delhi 4.65 lakh
Ritz Lxi Delhi 4.20 lakh Ritz Ldi Delhi 4.99 lakh
Ritz Lxi Delhi 4.80 lakh